CURWENSVILLE — On Tuesday, South Side Subs & Groceries of Curwensville opened up its front portion of its store to customers, as it had been previously doing pickup window service only since the coronavirus pandemic took hold in March. But after some customers berated the store’s employees — particularly about wearing masks inside — South Side Subs has decided to go back to window service only until further notice.
Owner Rachel Dixon said with the green phase being instituted in Clearfield County on Friday, they “were hopeful we could open the doors again and have people come in.”
Dixon said she spoke to a local representative of the PA Health Department and one of things required as a food service business was to have masks worn by both staff and those coming into the store, to which she said she knew there would be some flak about the matter. Dixon said while it technically isn’t a law, the masks are a guideline that businesses are encouraged to follow.
“The way (the representative) explained it to me is because you’re a private business, it is the same thing as ‘no shirt, no shoes, no mask, no service,’” Dixon said.
A sign was posted in the window stating masks were required. Dixon said she told her employees to politely tell the individual to please put a mask on and if the person cannot, an employee would bring whatever the customer needs outside.
“The majority of people came in with their masks on or had it in their hand and put it on as they were coming in the door,” Dixon said.
While Dixon said there were only a few people that did not comply, but “the few that were mean were incredibly mean.”
“I hire a lot of teenagers,” Dixon said. “If that were their child (they were berating), would they want their child to be subjected to that? As an employer, I can’t do that. I don’t feel good about letting these teenagers —who are supposed to learning what life is about and how to be a good person — I can’t let them go through that.”
Dixon said the restrictions are a burden on them as well, stating they don’t like wearing the masks themselves. But she is hopeful the sooner guidelines can be followed, the quicker things can go back to normal.
The business then posted a Facebook message on its page Wednesday night stating they would be reverting back to window service only.
“Not just from the Facebook post, but the overwhelming support we’ve have from people today, it’s just phenomenal,” Dixon said. “I cannot say thank you enough to people because they have been so supportive and it’s been wonderful. I can’t even explain how many people have been calling and placing orders and messaging us and being supportive.”
Dixon said with the ever-changing landscape of the pandemic, they will be window service only until further notice.
“I get it, it’s frustrating,” Dixon said of the restrictions. “It’s frustrating for us. It’s frustrating for our customers. But these kids (that were berated) are my family. They’re family, family friends, students in our community ... We just wish that everybody would think about things and be a little more kind.”
A Goshen Township man who had been missing since May 17 was found deceased on Wednesday around 12:30 p.m. in a wooded area east of the 1100-block of Brown Hollow Road in Goshen Township.
According to Clearfield-based State Police, troopers were contacted after the body was discovered at the reported location.
Kenneth McFarland, of the 1200-block of Brown Hollow Road was last seen on Lick Run Road on May 17 around 11 p.m. and was reported missing on May 22.
Clearfield County Coroner Kim Shaffer-Snyder confirmed that the body found on Wednesday was that of McFarland.
“The cause of death is pending completion of the autopsy,” Shaffer-Snyder said.
Police say the investigation is ongoing.
HARRISBURG — The Pennsylvania Department of Health reported Thursday that there are 625 additional positive cases of COVID-19 in the state, bringing the statewide total to 70,042.
Clearfield County’s total number of COVID-19 cases remains unchanged with 37 confirmed cases. Elk County remains steady at six total cases and Jefferson County remains unchanged with seven cases, the latest update from the state said. No deaths have been reported to date in any of these three counties.
There have been 5,373 total deaths attributed to COVID-19 in the state, an increase of 108 new deaths.
To date, the number of negative cases reported in Clearfield County is at 1,046, in Elk County at 309 and in Jefferson County at 495, according to the Department of Health.
There are 595 patients who have a positive serology test and either COVID-19 symptoms or a high-risk exposure, which are considered probable cases and not confirmed cases. There are 357,804 patients who have tested negative to date.
According to the latest report:
— Clarion County currently has 25 reported cases and two deaths.
— Indiana County reported one new case, with a total of 90 reported cases and five deaths.
— Centre County reports one new case for a total of 150 cases and six deaths.
— Cameron County remains the same, with two reported cases.
— Forest County has seven reported cases.
— Potter County remains unchanged with four reported cases.
— McKean County remains unchanged with 12 reported cases and one death related to COVID-19.
In nursing and personal care homes, there are 15,158 resident cases of COVID-19, and 2,563 cases among employees, for a total of 17,721 at 600 distinct facilities in 44 counties. Out of the total deaths, 3,501 have occurred in residents from nursing or personal care facilities.
FLINTON — Glendale School District was recently approved for $293,000 in funding from the state’s Commission on Crime and Delinquency, which will be used to upgrade security as well as hire a school resource officer.
At the school board’s recent meeting, directors heard Superintendent Edward DiSabato note the district is preparing to utilize the funding to improve student and staff safety.
“We are making progress,” he said. Bidding will start soon for the upgrade and work will be done during the summer months with the hopes of being completed by the start of the 2020-21 school year, he noted. Advertisements have also been placed for a school resource officer for the 2020-21 school year. He said first interviews with candidates will take place in the coming weeks, followed by a second interview for some applicants.
“I hope to have a candidate to present for the board’s consideration at the June meeting,” DiSabato said.
In March, the state Commission on Crime and Delinquency, reported Glendale was awarded a School Safety and Security Grant — part of the $53.7 million in school safety and $7.5 million in community violence prevention and reduction grants awarded.
Glendale was selected to receive School Safety and Security Grant funding in the amount of $293,309 from the PCCD.
The funding will be used to provide financial support needed to employ a school resource officer, enhance ongoing social work services and make numerous security upgrades to the school complex to ensure the safety and well-being of students and staff.