Columbia Fire Co.'s carnival kicks off its 90th year tonight|
Saturday, June 30, 2012
By Terry Whetstone Staff Writer
OSCEOLA MILLS - The Columbia Fire Co. of Osceola Mills is gearing up for its 90th annual carnival, which begins tonight in Osceola Mills.
The Lucky 13's band, with members Gary Persing, vocals/guitar; Jon Phillippi, lead guitar/vocals; Ron Flango, drums/vocals; Chuck Weidow, bass/vocals; Rhett Reams, sound board; and Matt Reams, now with Empire Rusty Gillien, and retired bassist of the Lucky 13's, will be performing at the firehall from 7-10 p.m. The cost is $4 at the door. Refreshments will be available.
Tomorrow the annual car show will be held at the park beginning at 9 a.m. and continuing until 4:30 p.m. There will be approximately 26 different classes with trophies awarded to the top three finishers in each division plus a best of show trophy.
There are classes for everyone, from the first automobile built to the present day, just off the assembly line. There are two different classes of motorcycles, racecars and even a monster truck class for vehicles with tires more than 33-inches high.
There is a $5 registration fee and those who register are asked to take a non-perishable food item to be donated to the local food bank.
Registration is from 9 a.m. until noon and the judging begins at noon.
Trophies will be awarded at 3:45 p.m.
Wednesday, one of the largest parades in the area will step off at 11 a.m. as the annual Fourth of July parade gets under way.
There will be a number of different categories in which to participate.
Once again the fire company is selling chances to win a brand new car. This year they are offering a 2012 Ford Fiesta, 4-door, Sedan SE. Additional prizes include second prize, $200 in cash; third prize, $200 in cash; fourth prize, $200 in cash; fifth prize, True Value Hardware $100 gift card; sixth prize, $100 Camberg Cozy Corner gift certificate; seventh prize, $100 Waterwise Pools LLC gift certificate; and eighth prize, $100 Mo-Valley Superbowl gift certificate.
The winner is responsible for taxes and the car drawing will be Saturday at midnight.
The schedule of events for the week-long festival is listed below.
• Tonight: 7-10 p.m. The Lucky 13's Band and refreshments.
• Sunday: 9 a.m. - car show registration, runs until 4 p.m. at the Osceola Mills Park.
• Monday: 6-10 p.m., rides open, food, games and a paddle auction at 7 p.m.
• Tuesday: 6-10 p.m., rides open, food, games.
• Wednesday: 9 a.m., parade line up; 11 a.m., parade begins; carnival grounds open following the parade until 10 p.m.
• Thursday: 6-10 p.m., rides open, food, games.
• Friday: 6-10 p.m., rides open, food, games.
• Saturday: 1 p.m., paddle auction; 6 p.m. until midnight, rides open, food, games, crazy auction, car give-away.