CASD students complete educational, fitness program|
Thursday, May 29, 2008
By Jeff Corcino Staff Writer
The new mentoring program provided by the Second Mile to middle school students was a big success, according to James Quick, vice principal of Clearfield Middle School at Tuesday night's meeting of the Clearfield Area School Board of Directors.
The program, which concluded on May 22, provided one-on-one mentoring to 22 middle school students and had them participate in fitness and educational programming on Thursday nights at the Clearfield Area High School field house, according to Mr. Quick.
Mr. Quick thanked the following adults who volunteered their time to help with the program: Fred Ammerman, Joe Bauer, Kathy Catherman, Scott Collins, Patty Gilliland, Nate Glunt, Tim Janocko, Dr. Denise Keltz, Joe Kendrick, Linda Lewis, Jackie Morrison, Jim Moyer, Jim Naddeo, John Naddeo, Rick Panebianco, Jessica Shirey, Sue Spaid, Stacy Speicher and Jody Vezza.
The mentoring program will be provided at no cost to the school district.
Second Mile is a nonprofit organization that was founded in 1977 by Jerry Sandusky, the former defensive coordinator for the Penn State football team.
In other business, the board voted to:
- approve the following appointments: Carol Ross, food service technician at the high school; Dorothy McLaughlin, food service technician at the middle school; Robin Foltin, substitute cafeteria worker, clerical, custodian/cleaning person and classroom assistant; Rita McConnell, substitute music teacher; Melissa Jacob, substitute teacher; Ella Blake, Joan Irwin, Andy Squires, Heather Lewis, Zach Bash, Betsey McDermott, Brandon Maines, Megan Pallo, Amanda Turner and Vickie Morgan, Title I Jump Start instructors; Kevin Stibitz, voluntary transfer from technology specialist to network supervisor with a salary of $36,000 with benefits; Elaine Matlack, voluntary transfer from computer lab aide to technology specialist at a rate of $12.50 per hour with benefits; Kurtis Price, computer lab aide.
Sarah Narehood and Christopher Renaud as student co-representatives to the board of school directors for the 2008-09 school year; Jenny Woomer, seniority transfer from cook at Girard-Goshen Elementary to cook at Centre Elementary; Stephanie Stuckey, substitute clerical, classroom assistant, custodian/cleaning person and cafeteria worker; Patricia Cutler, substitute clerical and classroom assistant; Connie Irvin, substitute cleaning person; Connie Hepfer, ninth grade/middle school cheerleading coach; Jeff Mease, head soccer coach; Robert Michael, substitute social studies teacher; Dave Duke, substitute cafeteria worker and classroom assistant; Brenda Rumfola substitute elementary teacher; Amanda Cassels, substitute elementary teacher; Corinne Flick, substitute teacher; Patricia Fedder, food service technician at the middle school; Christopher Rowles, substitute teacher.
Dennis Mollura, high school bus ramp supervisor; Robert Walker, middle school bus ramp supervisor; Mark McKolosky, middle school bus ramp supervisor; Rod Rishel, high school cafeteria supervisor; Karen Beish, middle school cafeteria supervisor; Stephen Switala, middle school music adviser; Mason Solomon, middle school Saturday school supervisor; Barb Brinkley, elementary violins and beginning instruments; Ray Mandell, high school band and sectionals; Barb Williams, high school majorettes, silk corps, bandfront, and middle school majorettes; Amanda Nebel, middle school sixth grade band and sectionals; Donnie Shimmel, summer school driver education instructor; Larry Way, seniority transfer from high school agriculture teacher to middle school technology education teacher; Gary Barton, seniority transfer from Title I math to elementary health and physical education teacher; Stephen Switala, seniority transfer from elementary music teacher to middle school music teacher; Justin Hazelton, transfer from alternative education teacher to high school health and physical education teacher; Ella Blake, Vickie Morgan, Gerald McCracken, Karen Beish, Jonathan McCaulley, Rob Billotte, Stacy Speicher, Joan Brett, Daniel Kennedy, Brandon Maines and Rod Rishel, summer school instructors.
- accept the following resignations: Jonathan Buck, computer lab aide at Clearfield Elementary School; Corrine Rubbe, cook at Centre Elementary for retirement purposes; Matthew Reed, high school math teacher; Fred Redden, ninth grade football coach.
- approve the request by The Glad Tidings Assembly of God to use the high school auditorium on June 5 for a nondenominational baccalaureate service.
- approve the summer food service program.
- appoint Bruce Nicholls as treasurer.